Up
  • Go2Slovakia
  • Go2Slovakia
  • Go2Slovakia
  • Go2Slovakia
  • Go2Slovakia

Go2Slovakia   

Slovakia - Castles, Manor houses See all

Levice castle

The Levice castle is from the end of the 13th century. It stands on top of volcanic rock protuberance above the swamps of the Hron river. At the fortress of the Levice Castle resides the Museum of Tekov. The Tekovian Museum in Levice was founded in 1927. The rich Collection Fund has more then 100 000 pieces of collection items from a field of natural science, ethnographical, history, archeology, numizmatic and fine arts.
Levice castle
Levice castle
Slovakia, Nitra region
City: Levice
Booking
mail@go2slovakia.eu
Skype: go2slovakia.eu

Levice castle

The oldest historical-architectonical sight that is a decoration of the city of Levice is the stone castle from 13th century. But we do not know when it was exactly erected. We know however, that for its erection a strategically well protected site on a foreland of Štiavnica Mountains was chosen. From the castle was an outstanding view to wide surroundings and a muddy terrain around it made an access to it difficult.

Unimpaired part of castle area - the Dobó Castle and the Captain House, saved later on for on coming owners of the Levice Castle and the land. In the years from 1688 through 1867 they were owned by family Esterázy. This property was later gained from them by Wiener bankers, the brothers Schoellers. Their family owned the Levice Castle and the castle land till the end of WWII. Nowadays, the unimpaired part of the castle is the seat the Tekov museum and the castle itself belongs to preserved cultural sights.

Levice castle


The rich Collection Fund has more then 100 000 pieces of collection items from a field of natural science, ethnographical, history, archeology, numizmatic and fine arts. Since the 1958 the museum is settled in the Levice castle (Captain´s building, Dobó´s Manor House), where are his expositions, and organize´s various exhibitions and cultural and education undertakings (Puppet show, Week in the museum, The night time of museums and galleries, The days of phothography in Levice, The castle jubilee, The Christmas on the castle). The part of the museum are: concert hall, the Gallery of Jozef Nécsey and amphitheatre.

The museum has two protuberant expositions: The rocky dwellings Brhlovce and the water mill Bohunice.

Levice castle
 

Attractions

Amphteatre

A long time unused area of the South-west bastion in the castle area was in the period from September 2005 through May 2006 adapted to the needs of the Tekov museum in Levice. It is utilized for organizing various cultural events that are closely linked with a historical character of the castle area.

Levice castle


Levice castle fiesta

Due to the common effort of the city of Levice, the Levice Municipal Cultural Centre and the Tekov museum in Levice, the Levice Castle Fiesta was renewed in 2001. It had been organized from 1972 through 1980. It is organized in the castle area and the castle garden. It has a character of town celebrations with a free entrance for inhabitants and visitors. Cultural events comprises a scenic interpretation of various themes from the history of the town and of the castle, by historical sword play groups, performances of musical, dancing and folk groups, a theatre, with merry-go-rounds and a guild market.

Levice castle

History

The first written report of the castle comes from 1274. It is the letter of King Ladislav IV to the landlord Apa from Hontpazmáň family line. The first known owner of Levice Castle was Matúš Čák Trenčiansky.

Inhabitants from neighborhood villages had started to move underneath a strengthened castle and so in 14th century village New or Big Levice arose and this one was in the possession of the Levice Castle. Its growing importance is demonstrated by that King Ludovit I, the Great, assembled here so-called palatine meetings to deal with various problems. In 1388 King Sigmud of Luxemburg donated the castle with the castle land to Ladislav from Šarovce, whose son Peter already used the name Lévai-Levický.

Levice castle


In the 16th century the Levice Castle became a place of frequent fights against Turks. In 1543 the castle became one of 15 anti-Turkish fortresses. Turks attempted to gain it for the first time in 1544, but this attack was fought off. They were driven out of the town through the town gate (today in front of a mill), later named according to Melicher Balassa, who commanded to castle garrison at that time. The strengthened Turkish danger was the reason for the castle renovation. In 1635 it was refurbished according to the Italian Fortress’s System and moats were filled with water. Cannon bastions and a drawbridge were erected. In the 60-ies of 17th century Turks fights became stronger and Turkish attacks did not walk around the Levice Castle and villages in vicinity.

The last important chapter in a history of this important fortress were years of the Esates uprising of František II Rákoczi against the Habsburgs. In battles of the Esates uprising alternately won one time emperor’s Labants, another time Kuruc army. It was set fire to the fortress, the powder house was blown up, moats and castle well they filled up a so the castle lost its importance as a military fortress. It was never renewed and its ruins talk only about distant past.

Levice castle

Levice castle

Museum

The Tekovian Museum was founded in 1927 thank´s to postmaster Jozef Nécsey who donated his archeological and ethnographical items, collection of books, paintings, materials and family archives to the town of Levice, although the County for Local Museums and Libraries in Budapest was interested in Nécsey´s collection in time of his donation as well. From beginning the collection had expanded due to the presents from residents of town and surrounding communities, schools and various institutions.

Levice castle


After the war in 1946 Pavol Huljak - retired teacher took over and with help of school youth sorted collection fund and had built the new exposition for the public. In 1954 the museum had to move to ground floor of an old Franciscans monastery and 4 years later moved again, this time to the fortress of the Levice Castle called Captain´s building where is settled up to this days.

Levice castle

Surrounding

Rocky dwellings BRHLOVCE

This exhibition was opened in 1992. The exhibition is made up of the dwelling No. 142 in the Šurda Lane in the core of this monument reserve of folk architecture known as Rocky Dwellings. It consists of a little walled house from the end of the 19th century, a walled house from 1932 and openings cut in the rock on two floors. There is a summer kitchen, a pantry and showpieces of stone products and instruments in the basement. A patio with boards and a small pantry are located in the first floor. The interiors are furnished according to the function of the various rooms and they document the dwelling culture from the end of the 19th century till 50-ties of the 20th century. In 1993, the Tekov museum in Levice was awarded an international award EUROPA NOSTRA bronze plaque for a restoration of dwelling No. 142 and its opening up to the public as the first organization on the territory of the Slovak republic.
Opening Hours: April-October: Mon, Thu, Sat, Sun 9.00 - 16.00 and upon a request also beyond openings hours. November-March: upon request.

Levice castle


Water mill BOHUNICE

The place was officially opened to the public in 1979. The farmstead of the former miller Pavol Turčan stands next to the Sikenica brook, 1 km far from the village Bohunice, next to the thorough fare to Banská Štiavnica. A small piece of garden belongs to the water mill building with a courtyard. This type of water mill has a wheel with the upper drive. Later on the equipment was modernized and in 1938 the water-drive was replaced with electricity. The building has three functionally different parts. A dwelling section consists of a room, a kitchen and a pantry to which a cellar is adjacent. All the interiors are furnished with a period furniture and inventory. The second section was a stable that is furnished as a working room at present. The third one, working section, is composed of the wheel chamber and the grinding plant. The mill was in operation up to 1950.

Opening Hours: May-September: Tue, Thu, Sat, Sun 9.00 - 16.00 (for group visitors also beyond opening hours time is available).

Useful information


Price list

Adults: 1,00 € Children [6 -18]: 0,50 €


Source: www.muzeumlevice.sk

Levice castle

Levice
LAT: 48.2224430 = 48° 13' 20.7948"
LON: 18.6007710 = 18° 36' 2.7756"

Contact

Slovakia
   
Skype: Go2Slovakia.eu
E-mail mail@go2slovakia.eu
 
✔   We speak English​
 
✔   No hidden costs​
 *
 *

Accommodation near

Attractions around

Menu