Up
  • Go2Slovakia
  • Go2Slovakia
  • Go2Slovakia
  • Go2Slovakia
  • Go2Slovakia

Go2Slovakia   

Slovakia - Castles, Manor houses See all

Markušovce Manor House

The Markušovce Manor House was built in the mid-17th century and is one of the stateliest buildings of eastern Slovakia. The original form of a Renaissance fort with round towers at the corners was changed during the extensive reconstruction in 1773 when it acquired the Rococo flair. After all its parts were renewed, the manor enshrines is the exhibition of historical furniture and in The summer residence houses is an exhibition of keyboard instruments.
Markušovce Manor House
Markušovce Manor House
Slovakia, Košice region
City: Markušovce
Booking
mail@go2slovakia.eu
Skype: go2slovakia.eu

Manor house Markušovce

The manor house Markušovce was built in 1643 in the renaissance style and is connected with the name Máriássy family. In 1770 - 1775 the manor house was rebuilt in rococo style. In the year 1933, the rest of the Máriássy´s properties was bought by Alexander Wieland. In the year 1945 the properties together with the manor house was confiscated by state.

In 1950 it was adjusted for museum purpose. From 1959 until 1984 it served as furniture museum. After the reconstruction works was in 1994 installed an new exhibition of historical furniture. The furniture exhibits are enriched by a large number of exhibits from applied art, articles from art history, porcelain and glass from Austria, England, Holland, France and collection of garments. The exhibition shows the development of furniture styles in different periods. On the first floor is exhibited furniture from Renaissance, Baroque, Rococo, Classicism, Empire and Biedermeier period. The last exhibition room on the first floor is called the conference hall of Csáky family where is furniture in neogothic style.

Markusovce Manor House


The groud floor of manor house is devoted to historicism (neo style), the Art Nouveau style and furniture from the beginning of the 20th century. The exhibition is enriched by collection of pictures. The collection includes works by such remarkable painters as J. Rombauer, J. Czaucik, J. Muller, J. J. Stunder. Of special interest is collection of pictures Allegory of senses from 18th century.

Markusovce Manor House
 

Attractions

Summer-house Dardanelles

The summer villa at  Markušovce, seat of the museum of keyboard musical instruments - is outstanding monument of Rococo architecture. The summer villa was built in last third of the 18th century by Wofgang Máriássy. The reason for this decision was the planned visit of the Emperor Joseph second to the region of the Spiš. Finally, the visit wasn´t realised and so the summer villa fulfilled a role of representative seat to now but emperors Joseph second finally decided not to come.

Markusovce Manor House

Markusovce Manor House


Since 1983 there is the exhibition shows keyboard musical instruments. Includes small organs, pianos, baby grand and clavichord. The exhibition of keyboard musical instruments concentrates on instruments made in Slovakia, especially in the Spiš region in second half 19th century.

The principal representative room in the summer villa is the lounge on the first floor with wonderful frescos of mythological topics. The lounge also serves as concert hall. Occasionally, several of kind concerts of classic are arranged there. Regularly are arranged Christmas concerts which is very popular among local inhabitants.

Markusovce Manor House


Piano from 1846

The most valuable exhibits in the Summer House Dardanelles is a piano made of ash wood with a richly decorated front. The piano was specially manufactured to order comes Mariássy. Piano was produced by Charles Schmidt in 1846 in Bratislava. This is one of the finest and most decorated pianos from this major European manufacturer of pianos, which are kept in very good condition. Its front is decorated with ivory, pearl and silver. Piano price was double the normal price of pianos in the 19th century.. The piano is now fully functional and is occasionally useing for concerts.

Markusovce Manor House


Hours made from turtle shells

Napoleonic hours of the early 19th century are installed in the largest room mansion. After the restoration it is fully functional. It is made from several pieces of turtle shells and decorated with brass fittings. Clocks are part of a collection of rococo and empire hours which complement exposure of historical furniture.

Baroque inlaid table

Beautiful Baroque table of 18 century is very interesting. Its table top is particularly interesting and consisting of a mosaic made up of 75,000 tiny pieces of wood. On its production have been used seven kinds of wood. The legend about the table says it made a prisoner of Levoča, and the same legend says its production lasted 30 years.

Markusovce Manor House

History

Markušovce ranks among the oldest villages in Spiš region. It was first mentioned at the beginning of the 12th century as a frontier settlement and a guarding village. Till the abolition of sertitude it was held in possession of well-known east slovakian aristocratic family Máriássy. A castle was built there in the 13th century, later ruined in conflict with Levoča town in 1527. In the 16th century it was rebuilt but burnt out again in 1773. Inhabitants were engaged in agriculture, mining and work in woods.

Markusovce Manor House

Museum

The manor house in Markušovce is an extended exhibition of Spiš museum in Spišská Nová Ves, which is the bigest and most complex museum in Spiš concentrated on natural history and mining in Spiš, the history of manufacture of keyboard musical instruments and furniture in Slovakia. At present it has more than 125 000 accessions in its fund.

It resides on the square in one of the most valuable historical buildings in the town. Its foundation probably date from the 15th century and the building served as the town hall. Later in 1774 it became the seat of the province of 16 Spiš towns. Today its most interesting part is its front facade dating from the 18th century. In the museum there is a permanent exhibition Nature and history of Spiš. Other exhibitions concentrated on various spheres of museum activities are installed during the year.

Markusovce Manor House

Surrounding

The manor house stands in a French park with three graded terraces. A summer villa named Dardanelle stands on the highest of them.

Spiš represents unusually rich treasury of artistic and historical monuments. Their value and richness is reflected by signing them into the list of World cultural heritage UNESCO (Spiš castle, Spišská Kapitula, Spišské Podhradie, Žehra, Dobšinská ice cave), some of them are classified as the national cultural monumets: the work of Master Pavol from Levoča and the cathedral of St. Jacob in Levoča, the Spiš castle, the evangelical lyceum and the articular church in Kežmarok, the museum in Krompachy, the church in Žehra.

Levoča
Levoča


Almost half of the municipal monument reserves of Slovakia are in Spiš: Levoča, Kežmarok, Spišská Kapitula, Spišská Sobota. Not to mention plenty of other monuments of the Gothic and Renaissance architecture, painting and sculpture, as well as golden artefacts and other artistic crafts.

Useful information


​Price list

Adults:   3,00 € Students: 1,50 €
Children [6-15]: 1,50 € Children [3-6]:  0,70 €


Source: www.kastielmarkusovce.eu

Markušovce Manor House

Markušovce - Spišská Nová Ves
LAT: 48.9154210 = 48° 54' 55.5156"
LON: 20.6247710 = 20° 37' 29.1756"

Contact

Slovakia
   
Skype: Go2Slovakia.eu
E-mail mail@go2slovakia.eu
 
✔   We speak English​
 
✔   No hidden costs​
 *
 *

Accommodation near

Attractions around

Menu