Up
  • Go2Slovakia
  • Go2Slovakia
  • Go2Slovakia
  • Go2Slovakia
  • Go2Slovakia

Go2Slovakia   

Slovakia - Castles, Manor houses See all

Red Stone Castle

The most beautiful castle in the Malé Karpaty mountains is one of the best preserved Slovak Castles - The Red Stone Castle. Due to its unique defence system and extensive cellars, the mighty Renaissance structure build on an irregular quadrangular ground plan belongs to special objects of Central European architecture. Museum administers over 13 000 objects.
Red Stone Castle
Red Stone Castle
Slovakia, Bratislava region
City: Častá
Booking
mail@go2slovakia.eu
Skype: go2slovakia.eu

Red Stone Castle

The Red Stone Castle is visited every year by 150 000 visitors. Families, schools, seniors, domestic and foreign tourists can admire with the lecturer the original interiors of the castle palace at the Museum tour. From May to September it is possible to come to know the castle at the second tour path named The Renaissance Fortress where the lecturer is showing the uniquely preserved fortification system of the castle.

Muesum tour

During this tour the guide will take the visitors through 24 rooms of the castle palace furnished with contemporary furniture, show them the unique Sala terrena, pharmacy, library, chapel and weapons room. In the castle underground the castle defence system and the function of extensive cellars will be explained.

The renaissance fortress tour

During the walk in the castle moat and castle underground the visitiors will hear who pulled down The Red Stone Castle and what happened after its destruction. They will see extensive cellars and parts of each of the four bastions of the former fortrees. The guide will explain how they contributed to the castle´s defence and many other interesting stories....

Red Stone Castle


Attractions

The larsargest cellars Central Europe

Cellars are lying under the whole south-western wing of the castle are the largest cellars in Central Europe. They were built in the second phase construction of the Renaissance and the strength to serve as the storage of goods, which the then owners of the castle, rich and mercantile dynasties of bankers Fuggers traded.

Sala terrena

Representative on the ground floor area southwest wing of the castle was created with the construction of the chapel and other adjustments in the early baroque castle palace in the years 1651 - 1664, initiated by then-owner of Red Stone, Count Nicholas IV. Palffy, an Italian-style.

Golden Eagle Pharmacy

Pharmacy on Red stone castle founded in 1676, the castle owner Nicholas IV. Palffy. About a century later acquired the current furniture. Pharmacy serves mainly noble family and its guests, when plague epidemics but also subjects.
To prepare the medicines used medicinal herbs, but also various exotic ingredients such as woodpeckers and kiwi. Normally primiešavala and myrtle, opium or the mummy. In addition to medicines and druggist produced cosmetics, sweets or liqueurs. Pharmacy served its purpose until 19 century.

Red Stone Castle

History

The first mention of Red Stone Castle was in the first half of the 13th century. The castle was built at a request of Queen Konstancia Uhorska, the widow of the Czech king, on her own land before 1240. At the same time the castle got the name - Red Stone or Beaver Castle. Despite the fact, the two noble families played the most significant role in the history of the castle. It was the German family of Fugger and the Austria-Hungarian family of Palfi.

The Fugger family obtained the castle from the previous owner and business partner, the Turzo family. This was how the red-stone estate and the gothic castle became a property (year 1535) of one of the richest business families of former Europe. Anton Fugger, the head of the family, was not only educated but also rich, capable businessman coming from the South-German town of Ausburg. He decided to utilize the strategic position of Red Stone, situated close to Bratislava and Vienna and transform the old gothic castle into a safe storehouse for goods traded across the whole Europe. Rebuilding the medieval castle into the renaissance fortress required an investment of a lot of money and time.

Red Stone Castle

Business plans of the Fugger family in this part of Europe grew gradually weaker. The reason was an increasing danger of Turks´ attacks. Therefore they decided to sell the castle. Many buyers were interested in purchasing the castle but only one could be the winner. In 1588, the young Baron Mikulas II Palfi finally became the owner of the whole estate (also won a heart of young women Maria Magdalena Fugger, the daughter of Marek Fugger and the grandchild of already mentioned Anton Fugger). Descendants of Mikulas and Maria took a hold over the estate until 1945. The last owner of Palfi family left in 1945. Thereafter, the castle was proclaimed a national cultural property.

Museum

The museum is specialised in the presentation of the development of the housing culture of aristocracy and burghers in Slovakia (over 13 000 objects). The museum resides in t. he national heritage monument Červený Kameň Castle situated above the village of Píla in the Small Carpathians. History of the museum has begun soon after the last castle owner left abroad. Karol Palfi moved to Austria together with his mother on March 1945. Documents show they left before the arrival of the Red Army troops.

Confiscated furniture torsos of other nobility estates, originated from the district of West Slovakia, gradually accumulated within the premises of Red Stone Castle. Necessary castle repair works had started simultaneously. From 1979 until now (with short break), Red Stone Museum has been a part of the Slovak National Museum or rather one of its specialized organs with any change of its focus. The last part of the museum exposition was opened in 1997 and displayed the culture of furnishing of aristocratic premises. The museum regularly lends collections for exhibitions taking place both at home and abroad.

Red Stone Castle

Surrounding

Defense sysem

Today Red stone castle was originally built as a Renaissance fortress with large storage area serving for the storage of the goods they traded the then owners of the castle - Fuggers merchant family in the mid-16th century. Strength of the defense system consisting of four corner bastions and walls between them. Each of the bastions of the number of floors that were designed for soldiers with firearms, so we can talk about them and as a bastion of battery. The underground part of the bastions are kazematy, passageways in the wall with crenelles that soldiers use to defend the fort and footers. Defenses of the castle was by fortifications, and as such Front Yards dispositionally remained unchanged even in the reconstructions that followed in later centuries.

The courtyards in front of the castle

She surrounding consists of the courtyards in front of the castle, English park and spacious meadows. The fortified courtyards in front of the castle (internal and external) defended the entrance to the castle itself. In the past it was possible to come there by the help of the draw-bridge as to the castle courtyard. It is the past nowadays as the ice-house, brewery, drinking-shop, stablings, shopfloors, fruit drying, etc. The gardens are preserved also with the beautiful redwood and ginkgo biloba. Nowadays the falcon courtyard is around them.

Red Stone Castle

Useful information


​Price list

Museum Guided Tour

Adults:  7,00 € Children [3 - 6]: 2,00 € Children [6 - 18]: 3,50 €


Renaissance Fortification Guided Tour

Adults:  5,00 € Children [3 - 6]: 2,50 € Children [6 - 18]: 2,50 €


Source: www.hradcervenykamen.sk 

Red Stone Castle

Častá - Pezinok
LAT: 48.3950750 = 48° 23' 42.27"
LON: 17.3323670 = 17° 19' 56.5212"

Contact

Slovakia
   
Skype: Go2Slovakia.eu
E-mail mail@go2slovakia.eu
 
✔   We speak English​
 
✔   No hidden costs​
 *
 *

Attractions around

Menu