Up
  • Go2Slovakia
  • Go2Slovakia
  • Go2Slovakia
  • Go2Slovakia
  • Go2Slovakia

Go2Slovakia   

Slovakia - Castles, Manor houses See all

Stará Ľubovňa Castle

On a limestone cliff of 711 m over Stará Ľubovňa in the north-east of Slovakia stands Ľubovňa Castle. Rulers met here in the past, it is the place where Polish coronation jewels were hidden and where famous adventurer, noble man and King of Madagascar, Móric Beňovský was imprisoned. Through a reconstruction accomplished after a great fire in 1553, the Ľubovňa Castle obtained a more modern shape of a Renaissance fortress.
Stará Ľubovňa Castle
Stará Ľubovňa Castle
Slovakia, Prešov region
City: Stará Ľubovňa
Booking
mail@go2slovakia.eu
Skype: go2slovakia.eu

Stará Ľubovňa Castle​

Welcome to the ancient castle of Lubovňa and let us warmly invite you to find out its interesting architecture and rich history:

THE HIGH BAROQUE BASTION WITH ITS ENTRANCE GATE - Built in the middle of the XVII century. It used to be the entrance to the castle. In the passage of the Baroque gate is the original metal sheeting of the iron tipped gatehouse, below which was placed the drawbridge.

THE RENAISSANCE TOWER WITH THE GATE (LAPIDARIUM) - By the time of building a new gate, it used to be the entrance to the lower part of the castle. Now you can enter only through the gate for the pedestrians because the bigger entrance has been walled up and changed into the loophole. In the passage there used to be also a second gate (do not miss the valuable Renaissance portal), behind which was one more bar. In the middle of the room you can see the exposition of the basic review of the castle’s building development, detailing its three periods, the Gothic one, the Renaissance and the Baroque one. The exposed Renaissance and Baroque tablets from the XVI and XVII centuries present the achievements of each custodian in the castle restore or its construction.

THE WEST RENAISSANCE BASTION - Built in the middle of the XVI century according to the plans of the outstanding architect Anton Vlach-Italicus. It protected the castle from the south and west. In its upper part there were eight cannon loopholes.

Stará Ľubovňa Castle


THE UNDERGROUND PASSAGES - In the passages of the Renaissance bastion used to be eight cannon loopholes. Both with its 16 loopholes the west bastion used to be the pillar of the castle defence.

THE GOTHIC TOWER – BERGFRIED - Built at the beginning of the XIV century. Three supporting pillars were added to it later. The ground floor used to be a store of the gun-powder. Above it used to be another store, where it was possible to get in only from the first floor of the Gothic palace. On the second floor used to be the prison, which Moric Benovsky was acquainted with as well in 1768. On the third floor used to be a watchtower, a store of the gun-powder on the fourth one, a room with two cannons on the fifth one and on the sixth floor used to be a bugler’s room, today it is the lookout tower.

THE BAROQUE PALACE - THE EXPOSITION OF THE HISTORICAL FURNITURE - The collection of the presented furniture comes mostly from the time of the last owners of the castle, the Raisz and Zamoyski families.

THE RENAISSANCE PALACE - Built after 1553 according to the plans of the outstanding architect Ján Frankenstein. In the lower part of the castle a brewery has been hewn from the rock. The bakery used to be above it, the kitchen and the stores were located above the bakery. The great hall and the chambers were situated in the upper parts of the palace.

Stará Ľubovňa Castle


Attractions

The Polish Crown Jewels

The concealing of the Polish crown jewels in the castle in 1655 - 1661 was one of the most significant events in the history of the castle lasting almost for 700 years. At this time Ľubovňa castle, as so - called Spiš deposit, was a part of the Polish kingdom (1412 – 1772). Following the attack of Swedes on the Polish kingdom in 1655, the crown jewels as well as the entire royal treasure were displaced at the castle. The museum in Ľubovňa - the castle introduces the Polish crown-jewels´ replicas: The Crown of Boleslav Chrabry, The Coronation Apple, The Coronation Sceptre. The Coronation Cloak of Stanislav August Poniatovsky, the Last Polish King.

History

The review of the most important events in the castle history:
- Beginning of the XIV century - construction of the castle
- 1311 - first written report about the castle
- 1323 -1343: the castle owned by the family Drugeth
- 1364 - Stará Lubovna was given the town privileges by the sovereign Louis I the Great
- 1392: the Queen Mary of Hungary visited the castle
- 1396: the Hungarian king Sigismond Luxembourg visited the castle
- 1412: the castle became the place of appointment of the Hungarian sovereign (Sigismond Luxembourg and the Polish king (Vladislaus II) who signed the peace and friendship treaty there.

Stará Ľubovňa Castle


- 1412 - Sigismond Luxembourg gave the castle to the deed for the loan of 37,000 heaps of Czech groschen to the Polish king Vladislaus II and both with the castle the towns of Stará Lubovna, Podolínec, Hniezdne and other thirteen Scepus (Spiš) towns
- 1412 - the castle becomes the custodial seat of the deeded territory (the medieval shape of the castle)
- 1494 - the Polish king Johann I Albrecht visited the castle during the time when the custody was in the hands of the Polish noble family Kmita (1478 – 1553 except a short break)
- 1553 - during the time of Ján Boner’s custody the castle restoring after the fire was ordered by the Polish king Sigismond II Augustus (the tablet proving the castle renovation)
- 1591 - 1745 - the custody of the deeded territory becomes to the hands of the Polish family Lubomirski
- 1656 - the castle was visited by the Polish king Jan Kazimir at the time when Polish royal jewels were hidden there (1656-1661)
- 1658 - the castle was placed by the Polish parliament to six fortresses kept on the state costs
- 1683 - the Polish sovereign Jan Sobieski visited the castle
- 1768 - Moric Benovsky was committed in the castle
- 1772 - by the first division of Poland during the Hungarian queen Maria Therese Therese’s rule the period of the Polish custody of deeded territory, lasting for 360 years, finished
- 1819 - the castle was bought by J. F. Raisz from the state
- 1883 - 1944 – the castle is being owned by the Polish noble family Zamoyski
- 1945 - the castle reowned by the state

Stará Ľubovňa Castle
 

Museum

Open-air museum

An independent museum exhibition is presented by an open air museum in the area at the foot of the castle hill. Open-air museum presents cultural values of ethnically mixed region in northern Spisz and north-western Saris. With it´s character presents unique variousness of life in this area.

Stará Ľubovňa Castle

Surrounding

More attractions: forest park under the Lubovna castle, Litmanová, Sculpture Symposium and spa in Vysne Ruzbachy.

  • The medieval army camp under the castle Lubovna.
  • The lubovna burgher’s house draws closer the life of the middle-class in Stara Lubovna. The furniture from 19th century, antique things many of which are the gifts from old Lubovna offsprings.
  • Church of Saint Nicolaus is dominant of historical square of Stara Lubovna.
     

Stará Ľubovňa Castle

Useful information


​Price list

Castle Castle and Open-air museum
Adults:  5,00 € Adults:  6,00 €
Students / Children [6-18]: 2,50 € Students / Children [6-18]: 3,00 €



Source: www.muzeumsl.sk

Stará Ľubovňa Castle

Stará Ľubovňa
LAT: 49.3138560 = 49° 18' 49.8816"
LON: 20.6984960 = 20° 41' 54.5856"

Contact

Slovakia
   
Skype: Go2Slovakia.eu
E-mail mail@go2slovakia.eu
 
✔   We speak English​
 
✔   No hidden costs​
 *
 *

Attractions around

Menu